Sunday, June 23, 2013

And Now, My Top 10 Favourite Books

Last time, I did the five books I was enjoying at that moment in time; now, I bring to you my top ten favourite books of all time (non-fiction and fiction included.):

10. In His Own Write - John Lennon

So, this is a book of nonsense poetry and stories. It's not a technically 'great' book, but it is perfect for a lark and is a great, short read. It's also noteworthy for being the first non-Beatles thing any of the four ever did. John also wrote two more books entitled: A Spaniard in the Works and Skywriting by Word of Mouth. Neither had quite the impact his first book had on me.

9. Journey to the Centre of the Earth - Jules Verne

It may seem a tad distant than my previous choice, y'know? However, I'm quite fond of this story and of the characters. May I also express my love for the original film, as well. The remake/reboot/whatever-the-fuck was just horrible. But, I will say that both the novel and original film are both ranking high in both my literary and film favourites.

8. John - Cynthia Lennon

By Lennon, Journey to the Centre of the Earth is sandwiched in-between two Lennon books! One by him and one about him! In this non-fiction biography by his first wife, Cynthia, John tells about the relationship they had together and in spite of all the negative aspects she brings to the forefront about John's life; she counter-balances it by talking about how much they loved one another, how horrid John's life was and how fame so young ruined both their marriage, and his relationship with his first son Julian.

7. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson

This is a pseudo-fiction, pseudo-non-fiction book by Hunter S. Thompson based upon two real-life trips to Las Vegas that he took with a man by the name of Oscar Zeta Acosta. Of course, because it's technically fiction he embellishes and makes things up; but on the whole, this novel is based on real events, as well as the numerous LSD trips Thompson and Acosta took during their lovely trips.

6. Why We Suck - Denis Leary

Why We Suck: A Feel-Good Guide to Staying Fat, Loud and Lazy is the first book by Dr. Denis Leary, who actually received an honorary doctorate from Emerson College. Denis is most well-known for his first comedy special No Cure for Cancer in which many suspect he took a great deal of material from former friend and fellow comedian Bill Hicks; however, I don't agree. He's also well-known for my favourite television programme of all-time Rescue Me. In this book it's partially autobiography, partially essays, partially jokes; well, you get the point.

5. The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger

Fuck you, I like this book. I can relate to Holden Caulfield; I am a bitchy adolescent who just wants to find his place in the world. Now, some of you may find it a tad ironic that a list of favourite books includes a book about John Lennon and a book by John Lennon, and a book that inspired Mark David Chapman to shoot-and-kill John Lennon are all on the same list. Well, simply put; J.D Salinger didn't write the book with hopes MDC would kill John. I mean, no shit.

4. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey

Now, be aware I love both the novel and the film; and the film I love much, much more. But I still love the fuck out of this novel! I like the idea of a regular guy unneededly put into a mental asylum filled with 'crazy' people and he helps them love who they are and to challenge authority! I'm kind of anti-authority myself, so it makes sense.

3. Napalm and Silly Putty - George Carlin

Last non-fiction book on the list. I love all of Carlin's books, but I feel that this one was really his best. I mean, George is my favourite comedian of all-time; and to have a book of his best material, thoughts and opinions? Genius! Sure, it was his third book; but it's still his best. Not to mention this book inspired me to write Poppycock.

2. A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess

It was pretty tough putting this book at number two because of the sheer impact it had on me whilst reading it; however, I still stand by my number one choice and feel that, while this novella is terrific and a real statement on society and how we view morality; the final chapter (thankfully omitted from the US version and the film) just ruins everything. A book about a teenager who loves rape, murder and violence suddenly reforms completely and moves on? I don't care if he's older, Alex is a fucking sociopath and you know it! You can't change shit like that! Didn't we establish the Ludovico technique didn't even work on him and he was just playing along? Come on now, Anthony!

1. Lord of the Flies - William Golding

I don't give a shit what anyone says. This is the most poetic, allegorical, statement on society, view of morality, view of innocence and exploration for the inherent evil of humanity is simply the greatest work of fiction because it's very much like a non-fiction book! It is simply the greatest and most well-thought out books of all-time. I mean, the ending marking the end of innocence is fucking beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. Little pussy barking with a foul-language. How many of your type i have seen. But too little of them getting a deserving slap across the face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have an idea for you-know-what wraps up your page nicely. Your next blog should be named:I don't give two fucks: I'm a faggot,so what!

    ReplyDelete