Wednesday, June 12, 2013

I Don't Give a Shit, I Love 'Dawson's Creek'

Okay, okay. I realise that soon I will be getting comments and messages informing of how much of a pussy I am and how gay the programme is; but hear me out:

My career and first-love is, of course, writing. However, my second biggest passion is filmmaking. It's what I wanted to be if my writing career didn't work out. In fact, I have on my computer at present; upwards of 15 to 20 screenplays and pilot episodes. Eventually, I want to get one made.

One screenplay I'm working on is an homage to Pulp Fiction, and it's actually not half-bad. Mostly, I write pilot scripts though. And in that group, they're mostly dramas. As a matter of fact, one of my pilot scripts is available for reading online here.

I bring up my love and passion for films because Dawson Leery, the shows protagonist and eponymous main character, also has that. Albeit, his love is for the mainstream films and his hero is Steven Spielberg. (I'm more interested in the independent film market and my filmmaking heroes are Kevin Smith, John Hughes and Quentin Tarantino.) Which is why I can relate to him.

I can also relate to Pacey, Dawson's wise-cracking, lady-loving (though, for the most part; the ladies don't love him...except Miss Jacob...and Joey...and Andie...and Audrey...never mind...) best friend who, as aforementioned has quite a few relationships with some serious-ass consequences. Granted, I've never fucked a teacher of mine; but it's on my bucket-list.

And in a very no-homo way; I can relate to Jack. Because, disregarding his discovered homosexuality (Is that why he dated Joey? Because she has a guy's name?), I can relate to his introversion and difficulty making himself known to the world and being comfortable. (Again, in a totally heterosexual way.)

That's why I enjoy the show, not to mention it's where I get my extensive vocabulary and quite a few catchphrases from. I also just enjoy the series as a whole; because disregarding the final two seasons, it was a pretty great drama. It was new and original for the time, and inspired those who came after it.

Perhaps it was a tad girly for a show focusing on a guy (Granted, his name was quite feminine, while his love interest's name was quite masculine, ironically.) and maybe it shouldn't have shifted from 'Dawson's Creek' to 'Joey's Bar', but I digress. It was great for four seasons, at least. And that's more that I can say for most shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment