Monday, June 17, 2013

Top Top 15 Beatles' Songs (In My Humble Opinion)

Okay, as you may know, I'm a huge Beatlemaniac. I mean, I practically worship John Lennon in a God-like fashion! So, I feel the need to compile a list of my favourite Beatles' songs. Let me just say: THIS WAS PRETTY FUCKING HARD. I felt so bad about leaving songs out and putting songs above one-another. So, think of this as an 'incomplete list'.

15. "You Won't See Me" - Written by Paul McCartney - Rubber Soul

Rubber Soul is my second-favourite Beatles' album of all-time, so it makes sense it would have a song on the list. However, this is the only one I feel breaks the top 15. I know, I know. Norwegian Wood! Nowhere Man! I get it! But this is the only song from the album that I truly, truly love.


14. "She Said, She Said" - Written by John Lennon - Revolver

Written after a bad acid trip and Peter Fonda telling Lennon and Harrison about almost dying...Great song!



13. "Baby's in Black" - Written by Lennon/McCartney - Beatles for Sale

This song inspired Paint it Black by The Rolling Stones; which is featured over the end credits of Full Metal Jacket.


12. I, Me, Mine - Written by George Harrison - Let it Be

People like to pretend this was the last Beatles' song ever recorded. It wasn't, but it's still a kick-ass rock ballad on a criminally underrated Let it Be.


11. Mother Nature's Son - Written by Paul McCartney - The Beatles (The White Album)

Inspired by a horny meditation guru who told them they were children of nature. What better reason to write a song?
10. Love You To - Written by George Harrison - Revolver

Okay, I know the title is grammatically incorrect, but fuck me this song is underrated and great! Even better than Tomorrow Never Knows, which is why that song is nowhere to be found on this list.


9. I'm a Loser - Written by John Lennon - Beatles for Sale

Lennon really shined on the equally-underrated Beatles for Sale with very Bob Dylan-esque songs. This is a great example.
8. Across the Universe - Written by John Lennon - Let it Be

Really superb and poetic song by Lennon. Arguably one of his greatest lyrical pieces ever composed.
7. I've Got a Feeling - Written by Lennon/McCartney - Let it Be

Well, shit; Let it Be again? I must really think the damn album is really underrated. Oh well. A kick-ass song with Lennon's superb middle-eight. "Everybody had a wet dream." Yes they did, John. Yes they did.


6. Yer Blues - Written by John Lennon - The Beatles (The White Album)

One of the more...depressing songs..."Yes, I'm lonely; wanna die." But a great one, nonetheless.
5. Long, Long, Long - Written by George Harrison - The Beatles (The White Album)

Two white album songs in a row?! George really became a great songwriter by the end of The Beatles. This one is criminally underrated!
4. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End - Written by Paul McCartney - Abbey Road

It may be the only song(s) on this list; but at least it's in the top five!
3. A Day in the Life - Written by Lennon/McCartney - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

I KNOW, I KNOW! "But Josh! This is the greatest Beatles' song ever! Don't you read Rolling Stone?!" Eat me, okay. It's a great song, but not the greatest.
2. While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Written by George Harrison - Anthology 3 Version

Now, I enjoy the version on The White Album and all, but the Anthology 3 version is truly a masterpiece of music. I damn-near cried listening to it!
1. I'm Only Sleeping - Written by John Lennon - Revolver

And you don't believe that Revolver is the greatest album ever produced? Listen to any of the songs from it on this list, but mostly listen to perhaps the greatest Beatles' song ever: 

No comments:

Post a Comment